Chelmsford City Council
Chelmsford City Council comprises one council and 27 parish councils for around 180,000 residents.
Located in Essex, to the east of London, Chelmsford boasts swift commuting links that connect locals to the capital. Chelmsford is also known as the Birthplace of Radio, due to the fact that Guglielmo Marconi – credited as the inventor of radio – opened his Wireless Telegraph and Signal Company there in 1899.
The council comprises many local government buildings, each one differing in size and presenting its own unique set of challenges.
Previously, Chelmsford worked with a single manufacturer that is commonly associated with low running costs. However, the solution did not fully meet its developing needs, and the fleet was aging out of support. The print infrastructure was disjointed, with minimal control of printing which caused waste and unnecessary costs across the fleet.
Chelmsford City Council had a print management solution in place, however it was not flexible enough to meet the demands of the authority. During fact-finding discussions, the council was keen to reduce waste, and the size of the fleet; thus improving its environmental credentials as well as strengthening document security. It was established that the issues could be addressed by introducing modern technology combined with software, in the form of a Find Me print solution.
Like many local authorities, Chelmsford City Council favoured the use of a recognised Public Sector Framework which was run by Crown Commercial Services (CCS). This has been in place for many years and ensures fairness and transparency. Therefore, it was crucial that under the umbrella of the Capita group, of whom Right Digital Solutions were part, that we submitted a tender that adhered to the requirements, ensured the lowest price, and was based on integrity with no hidden charges, as well as submitting environmental impact data
Chelmsford City Council required an efficient solution that was cost-effective and secure. It was important that the print solution implemented could easily handle the demands of the team. A simple and uniform interface was essential, to aid efficiency and ensure users could easily access their prints, irrespective of which council building they were in.
As well as cost-efficiency, Chelmsford was committed to achieving its environmental objectives. It required a partner who would not only deliver machines with low environmental impact, but also work with it to enhance green credentials where possible.
One of the sites, Hylands Estate, is a Grade II-listed park that dates back to 1730. It was crucial that no damage was caused during the delivery phase and that equipment was installed with the greatest of care.
- 1Sustainability Impact - Installation of highly reliable, energy-efficient multi-function devices manufactured by market leaders for sustainability.
- 2 Uniformity - Identical fleet-wide user experience and consistent screen layout on any device, enabling the team to move devices within the estate should volume or maintenance become an issue.
- 3Cost Control - Installation of leading PaperCut print management software, ensuring prints were only output when collected by the user at any device or automatically deleted after a set period of time.
- 4Remote monitoring - Supply of Printwatch software, automating consumable replenishment, submitting meter readings directly to the service provider, and offering tracking and analytical insight on machine health, mitigating potential issues around machine downtime
- 5Dedicated service delivery - ensuring prompt resolution of any issues, either via first-time fix from the nationwide support helpline or a site visit, with a long-lasting success of the contract enjoyed by both parties and recently extended for a further two years
The long-lasting success of the contract continues to be enjoyed by both parties and has recently been extended for a further two years. The staff at Chelmsford City Council have been easy to work with, and we look forward to continuing our relationship with them Right Digital Solutions